Social media is a blur of tweets, shares and content. No longer is it just used by the young and the restless. It is global and embedded in every corner of the web.
This is the who and the where of social media users.
- 72% of all internet users are now active on social media
- 18-29 year olds have an 89% usage
- The 30-49 bracket sits at 72%
- 60 percent of 50 to 60 year olds are active on social media
- In the 65 plus bracket, 43% are using social media
- Time spent on Facebook per hour spent online by country. Here are the top three. USA citizens get the top gong at 16% followed by the Aussies at 14 minutes and the Brits at 13 minutes.
- 71% of users access social media from a mobile device
Facebook is still the largest social media site on the web, but it is predicted that by 2016, Google+ will surpass Facebook on “social sharing”
- There are now over 1.15 billion Facebook users
- One million web pages are accessed using the “Login with Facebook” feature
- 23 percent of Facebook users login at least 5 times per day
- 47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases
- 70% of marketers used Facebook to gain new customers
- There are now over 550 million registered users
- 34% of marketers use Twitter to successfully generate leads
- Twitter was the fastest growing network with a 44% growth from 2012-2013
- 215 million monthly active users
We haven’t mentioned some important social media channels. These include. Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Tumblr, Vine, and many others.
This year expect the visual social media networks to hit more home runs.
Keep an eye on these two:
- Pinterest with 20 million active monthly users
- Instagram with 150 million active monthly users.